Thursday, November 15, 2007

I seem to have forgotten how important showing the process of making the work is. I was reminded this past weekend.

The porcelain deer you saw in earlier blogs was made with a plaster cast. I took a cast of the real deer. Because it was the summer, and animals rot more quickly after death, I was not able to get what I wished for: the entire deer. But I’m taking that as a blessing in disguise. His relief seems to be just as satisfying to me.


After bisquing (firing once) him, I covered the surface with graphite. This is the deer installed directly into the wall in my studio.(You can double-click on the photo to see it bigger and in more detail)


Realizing I was approaching the same installation issues as I always seem to, I decided to install the deer into Plexiglas, then install the plexi into the wall. I have a love affair with plexi so I’m happy with the results so far. You will see the finished product SOON!


No comments: