Monday, November 26, 2007

i love repetition. and contrasts. severities. hundreds, one, black, white. life.death. i have been casting snakes and deer legs, blindly. not knowing what the result will be, but loving the process too much to stop. then I went to post these images, for the sake of exposing the process. i think the 1st two are telling. they work well together. going with that will be my next step.






sometimes the simplest are my favorite. i was wrapping the dead baby bird in thread. orange, gray. and simultaneously wrapped a large sculpture in hoarse hair (thanks laurel), then wrapped the bird in one strand of the hoarse hair. to me this reads nurturing, maybe even mourning of one distinct species for another, contrasting most obviously in size.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

When you repeat that much, it's like the snakes and deer legs become lines in a drawing- an overall collection of marks and patterns. I especially enjoy the 'bird's eye' view of the snakes. I wonder if you could cover a huge section of floor (or all of it, or the wall) with these arranged in these tangling patterns and photograph them from above (or way back from the wall). The pieces on the shelves are different in that way. With the larger amounts I think about microcosm, macrocosm, celtic knot work patters with animals, and ideas of life as infinity, an ever continuing cycle. Keep it up Erin! I hope to see more soon.