Wednesday, February 7, 2007

I have been finding dead animals around on my daily walks. Deer, a dog, a turkey. Like the burned house, the sight of such death is sad, but oddly serene. I find the decomposition process really facinating. So much so, that I brought an (already) detached deer leg back to the studio to draw, when I finished, I put it on a high table outside (so the dogs wouldn't get it) to watch it decompose.


There is such immense elegance in a deer leg. Even when the rest of the deer is mangled (from other animals feeding), the leg is still mostly whole (including hair). I have seen this in both dead deer I have found.

5 comments:

rroot said...

Erin,
Yes, and you have captured that sense of elegance and grace in just the drawing of the leg. You provide the viewer with so much information and emotion with the positioning of the form and of course the delicacy of the lines and textures. You continue to amaze me and surprise me!
Your bring so much value, life and sensitivity to the subject matter that viewers cannot help but connect!
Thank you for sharing!
Love, Love, Love,
MOM

eje said...

ms. E --

yeah, deer parts are amazing, huh? I forget how small and delicate deer really are until one of the dogs brings home a present of one of their legs. And it's so strange to see this functional, pretty thing -- sometimes the joints will still move freely -- that is nevertheless the result of a gory dismemberment.

can't wait to see more pics of your explorations of decay :)

-eje--

ps - I bet roxy gets that deer leg somehow.

The Pass It On Project said...

Love it. I'm always amazed with your drawings. Can't wait to see the real cub creek! Miss you.

relieber said...

Eeeuuurn (did I get that right?)

Listen...dead deer legs, burned down houses, this is not the stuff of great blogging. Get some interesting stuff up here...naked people, beer pong, fraternities, indie rock bands. PLEASE!

Jk, jk. I ditto your mom. Incredible as always.

Hope you're happy out there. Keep the art coming.
Love and go and go,
Lieberman

Stephanie said...

I really miss you.

-Stephanie (formerly Tranchina)