Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Death has taken on a whole new meaning out here. It has become less nostalgic, and more a part of the cycle of life. I was tempted to bury this deer, then realized the turkey vultures need to eat.


Casting a dead baby deer may seem unethical to some, to others-it immortalizes it. To me, I couldn't help but create a piece of porcelain that captures its elegant form.


A drawing of Roxy looking through a brightly lit doorway.


A hummingbird came in, attracted to the flickering fluorescent lights. He burned himself and died a while later. The colors on his neck were some I'd never seen on an animal, in person. They changed drastically, depending on your perspective.


After casting a deer leg, I began throwing the slab to flatten and reuse it...it began to look like an archeological dig.


A black snake sunning himself in the middle of the road. I thought the line he was creating was lovely.


Simon was our French resident. He came and left in a month. He was refreshingly goofy.


2 cows silhouettes looked like one long, many legged animal when I first came over the hill. Neither of these photos created the result I wanted, but the blurriness and bug guts on the windshield may be better.



Our second tomatoe from our garden!

2 comments:

Erin Root said...

Oh! my sweet, lovely, creative, daughter!
This form of the deer takes my breath away. It is so elegant, as though the last thing he was practicing was a dance.
You have preserved his immortality forever!
Ciao, bella stella,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Erin ~ I had a chance to spend some time with your parents in DVL and they shared with me some of the exciting things you have been doing. I was delighted to be able to google you and learn more about your amazing work. The deer is spectacular and the wood fired pottery is lovely. I look forward to one day owning an original piece of your work. ~ Robyn Connell