Sunday, March 4, 2007

We fired the salt kiln. It's a large gas kiln where once it gets to a certain temperature, a piece of angle iron is filled with salt and poured to either side, front and back of the kiln. This is Jeremy squinting at the fumes given off by the salt.

Drew's face, with the kiln reflecting off of it.

MY TOPS! Most of them spin beautifully with glaze.

I have never been so happy with a firing. Each of my "animal's" surfaces turned out deeper and more complex than I expected. My favorite part of this glaze ("Ben's E), is the lovely blue vein it left down the center.


This is also "Ben's E", because it was in the very front of the kiln and completely exposed to the salt, the glaze bleached to show more blue. The part I have not been able to capture with my camera are the TONS of crystals that formed on the back of the piece.


I consider this piece to be the most successful of the firing. The glaze sat in all the cracks, and that glaze that was left on the surface pooled around what's known as the "orange peel" effect that comes from the salt in a salt firing.

No comments: