Thursday, January 18, 2007


As a result of a fire, I have been displaced, as have John Jessiman, the director of Cub Creek, and the other residents who lived in the large plantation home at Cub Creek residency. This is my first view of the house coming over the hill, since it burned.


The only part of the house that still stands (the brick section), is the original house built in 1833. The addition (all wood, and completely gone) was built in 1850. This house was more than double the size when I visited in late summer.



On what used to be a red formica table, that John made, sits two of his large pieces, along with tea pots by Hitomi, Takoru (Shigaraki), and a couple of Heineken bottles.

5 comments:

communi_kate said...

Wow. That is devastating. I can't even imagine losing all your art like that. Luckily they will have your fun, smiling face around to help them all move on.

Our bathtub misses you and so do we.
Love, kate and Truman.

k.e.b. said...

Erin--
Wow! I still cannot believe that that happened. Did the people who lived there lose everything? It sure looks like it! While the photos displayed the distruction of the fire, you also really captured the stillness of everything afterwards--there was a strange beauty in all of them. Also, being the history geek that I am, it is really sad that such an old house was distroyed! But, Kate is right, you will bring a much needed boost of energy.

Love that both you and Monica have blogs :o)

Thinking of ya!
Kïrsten

The Pass It On Project said...

I can't believe you have your own blog that you set up. I'm so proud.

Love the first entry... I think Nat put a link to your blog on my page!

Miss you.

Spinning Ninny said...

you go girl. i am totally impressed that you and mbint both have blogs. the most i can muster is a blog on my myspace page. :) hope you're surviving. once you get settled, i'll give you directions to the J. Crew Clearance Store.

rroot said...

Erin,
Not only are your spinning objects fun to view but I can only imagine them in motion all at the same time. I would love to photograph them and blurr them with a slow shutter. They transport me to my childhood in Italy when I would play with such object.
Though less formal and more participatory, they also remind me of your vessels in your reliquary.
Your larger sculpture which I was thrilled to see relate to these precious objects ... they all have a common ground and they seem to connect which makes the entire series united and very strong.
Thank you so much for sharing Erin.
YOU inspire me!
Love, Love, Love,
MOM